You can’t add a Visa Gift Card to Apple Wallet. But it can be used to add money to your Apple Cash balance, which you can then use to shop in stores and online, and to send money to friends and family — a similar workaround to what’s needed to use a Visa Gift Card on Amazon, which also doesn’t openly support them.
Funds added to Apple Cash can be withdrawn to a bank account with the click of a button, making for a convenient way to withdraw money from a Visa Gift Card without having to leave the house. There are no additional fees for withdrawing from Apple Cash to a bank account, which can take as little as 30 minutes.
- Apple iPhone or Apple iPad
- Visa Gift Card (with Card Number)
- Open the Wallet application, then tap on Apple Cash.
- Click the More button in the upper-right corner.
- Tap the 'Add Money' button and enter an amount to top up.
- Press 'Add' and enter the information for the Visa Gift Card.
- Confirm the transaction with Face ID, Touch ID or with a passcode.
It’s worth noting however that Apple Cash is only available in the United States. For those who haven’t used it before, it’s Apple’s answer to Cash App and PayPal. Living in Wallet, it lets you keep a virtual balance on hand, which can be used with Apple Pay and sent to (and received from) other Apple Cash users.
Of course, this balance can only be used in stores that accept Apple’s mobile payment service. Nowadays, there aren’t a whole lot of them that aren’t on the list — usually if the retailer accepts contactless payments, it’ll take Apple Pay too, with the main callout being that Walmart doesn’t accept Apple Pay.